[Remops] austria remailer's keys compromised

christian mock cm at tahina.priv.at
Tue Apr 24 18:42:10 BST 2012

Today, the police arrived with a court order that allowed them to
create a forensic disk image of the austria remailer. This apparently
was on request of the US authorities, related to the Pittsburgh bomb
threats.

Therefore, I had to destroy any existing keys and create new keys (see
below).

What does this mean?

- The remailer's private keys are compromised, so any message that was
  encrypted to those keys can be decrypted, *if* it was intercepted in
  the form it reached the austria remailer.

- If you've been following best practice and used a chain of
  remailers, this chain has been weakened, but probably not broken.

- Since I've destroyed all existing keys, messages "in flight"
  encrypted to those keys will be discarded. I'm sorry about that.

- You need to update your keyrings before you can include austria in
  your chains again

- Depending on how paranoid you are, you may assume the machine is
  backdoored, since the authorities have had access. I will re-install
  the machine from trustworthy media, but due to the logistics
  involved this will take a few weeks.

The new keys:

austria mixmaster at remailer.privacy.at 8ed603304ed22f688e8f8afe08a0e57b 2:3.0 C 2012-04-24 2013-05-19

-----Begin Mix Key-----
8ed603304ed22f688e8f8afe08a0e57b
258
AATM4V5Fhkf9E5jzDrhDyUOZQO8Eu8X6Ba9Jccd9
o0BTp+AkejjTAIirKd55NKf+w67CtEDOA8WBK+5m
CX42MevVLN4P+SYeCRrkiZiDQKl7v3Fr6G17St+0
VwTNL9JUQLub/H/IQjIHu61P0M8n9e3kowpGGNhk
NdcaeJMLOAFVKwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQAB
-----End Mix Key-----

Type Bits/KeyID     Date       User ID
pub  1024D/B052DF06 2012-04-24 "privacy.at Anonymous Remailer" <mixmaster at remailer.privacy.at>