[Remops] EMP Filters and Me

drsnoid remops at drsnoid.cotse.net
Tue Mar 17 13:56:13 GMT 2009

 On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:06:11 +0000, you wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:10:34AM -0400, drsnoid wrote:
>
> > By the time it was all said and done there were two which appeared on other
> > servers but not mixmin, both from Frell:
> >
> > Subject: huge 3 test frell post
>
> news at drooper:~$ telnet localhost 119
<snip>
> head <fbb1d49fce9d870f4d3eb062fd3a3697 at msgid.frell.theremailer.net>
> 221 0 <fbb1d49fce9d870f4d3eb062fd3a3697 at msgid.frell.theremailer.net>
> head
> From: Fritz Wuehler
<snip>
> Newsgroups: alt.testing.testing
> Subject: huge 3 test frell post
> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 01:44:13 +0100
>
> > Subject: huge 3 test frell banana
>
> head <0a40ea08f1ed06ea26b16a5b38b754f9 at msgid.frell.theremailer.net>
<snip>
> Subject: huge 3 test frell banana
> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:40:21 +0100
>
> Both of these did make it to Mixmin from Frell and are still available.

This is interesting.  Indeed, the message IDs you retrieved are still
available on mixmin, but note the dates.
The ones I to which I was actually referring had dates of Date: Fri, 13 Mar
2009 02:40:45 +0100 and Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 01:06:56 +0100 respectively.
Frell duplicated Message IDs!
They Subjects and payloads of these messages were indeed identical, but it
seems odd that Frell would duplicate the IDs.  Well, I guess not *that*
odd, but it doesn't really explain why the latest messages with those IDs
were displayed on other servers which also have the older IDs on their
servers.  Bottom line is it looks like mixmin handled these messages
correctly.  I created this condition accidentally out of laziness, but if
somebody had created this condition with intent to spam or flood mixmin did
its job.

> > The day before yesterday I devised a way of inserting my own special brand
> > of random garbage into the message bodies and made another run, which seems
> > to have alleviated the problem.  Some new results should be along shortly!
>
> Lets wait and see how that goes.  For the previous tests my news logs
> don't go back far enough to provide any insight into what the problem
> might have been.

This problem may have been occurring for a long time and I just didn't know
it.  With the modifications I've made, I'm sure it won't be an issue in the
future.

> > But it all makes me wonder what changed on such a system-wide basis.  Never
> > use to be a problem, then suddenly ZAP, no matter which mail2news, exit
> > remailer, or news server my messages seemed unwelcome.
>
> Your messages are always welcome on my services.  :)

Thanks.
I think this ticket is closed!

drsnoid