[Remops] neverending flood

Philippe Gauthier philippe.gauthier at deuxpi.ca
Tue Oct 9 23:46:56 BST 2007

> > No analisys of the flood was done ? It seems to me
> >  a mixmaster-only middle-only flood that nilsimsa is unable to
> >  intercept.
>
> I use syslog-ng and enabled some filtered logging to try and identify a
> source.  Whilst it's impossible to say with any certainty that a given
> address is the cause, there were some very strong pointers to a specific
> DHCP managed sub-domain.
>
> I'd be interested to hear if any other remops have taken steps to
> identify or block the source.  It's always a sensitive topic to discuss
> after the very public attempts by Frog-Admin to identify a flooder back
> in February 2000 but IMO there's reasonable justification for trying to
> prevent the ingress of thousands of messages from a single source,
> providing it can be done without a trumpet fanfare and a public naming
> of the suspected instigator.

I don't have too much time to think about how to make good tools (i.e.
privacy friendly and reliable) to analyze the source of the flood, but
if anyone has suggestions I would be glad to help. It looks like the
deuxpi remailer would be a good candidate for this work (over 100,000
messages per day for a few days!)

I also tried to filter the Postfix "anvil" log, but it just points to
other remailer IP addresses.

--
Philippe Gauthier <philippe.gauthier at deuxpi.ca>
Deuxpi Admin