[Remops] Attn bigapple admin: Rate-limiting woes

pyradic mas at pyradic.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 8 20:05:14 GMT 2006

On 05.02.2006, at 16:15, Admin wrote:

[replying to my observation that bigapple had introduced strict rate-
limiting, sometimes losing messages as a result]

> I tried a test yesterday. I created a number of PGP encrypted
> messages to
> myself with the subject test 01,02,03,...50
[...]
> I suspect you are correct, there may be some rate limiting. But in the
> initial blast of messages to bigapple, (I have 20 simultaneous
> outgoing
> connections set in Mercury) the initial ones went through too fast
> for me to
> see in the window.

I think that's where the big difference is: Your pipe is big and
wide, making almost any delivery effectively linear, because each
message only takes a few milliseconds to go through.  Even when
sending 50 messages at once, you don't really run into parallel
connections.  My pipe, on the other hand, is small and almost
saturated, which means that each message takes at least five seconds
and can take up to a minute if there's a lot of stuff happening.  So
I run into parallelization limits, while you don't. ;-)

But thanks for testing this.

> I am not sure if bigapple admin reads this list. When I have a
> question for
> him, I E-mail him direct and he has graciously helped me out on
> numerous
> occasions. If he doesn't answer here, I suggest you E-mail him with
> your
> questions.

I will do that if I run into the limit again.  At the moment, things
are running smoothly.

Thanks again, :)
Marc